Saturday, May 9, 2009

Random Acts of Violence

Chapter 1
No one knows exactly when their time is up. The clock is ticking, seconds slowly dwindling away into nothing. When will it all end? Will we perish from all of our prosperity and vanish forever or will we linger as a legend? I guess it doesn’t really matter, because once you’re dead, you’re dead. No one knows whether or not anyone is going to be there to comfort you after you’re gone. Is there really a heaven or hell? Or does our world go black? Lights out. Silence. No more noise. They say that silence is golden, so in a way I am kind of rewarding them. Rewarding them for what you may ask? I say it’s for putting up with the bullshit of life for so long. I am ridding them of pain, suffering, and all the other melodramatic words you can think of. Christ thought he had it all figured out when he gave them free agency. People think he, if he can even be called a he, is perfection and knows all. But let’s face it no one can control Chaos. And in essence isn’t that what the good ol’ Christ Almighty wanted; Chaos. Bible thumpers will over time eventually shove it in your face that there was a war in heaven between two sides. Some may say that the war was between Good and Evil; Elohim and Lucifer. The war was really between a choice of Order and Chaos. Now the funny question is why did God even let this battle take place? I guess he isn’t as powerful as people think. Well eventually the war of all wars was waged and a third of heaven fell. That’s where I come in. It is what we are, fallen angels. We are not evil. All we are, are mere fallen angels trying to bring Order to Chaos.
***
To them I do not exist. Isn’t it funny how a couple of numbers and a few pieces of papers can determine ones existence? I walk among men unnoticed and virtually invisible. I do not abide by time or obey the laws of the land. I roam with complete freedom. I am not scared as to where my next meal comes from or where I will I lay my head at night, in the end these natural occurrences will eventually take place.
I didn’t know that today would be my first. Today started out as any other and time moved on. I woke as normal striking the off button on my alarm clock. I don’t even know why I own the damn thing at all; the sun always woke me long before it went off. I guess I kept it because it brought some sort of normality in my life. It was part of one of the few routines that I have grown accustomed too.
Like clockwork, I had my daily routine of getting ready timed down to the very second. It took me exactly eighteen minutes to get ready for the day. That is unless I decide to rub one out in the shower, then it takes me nearly twenty-five minutes.
I made my way to the door hoping either the landlord had already left or maybe she wouldn’t see me creep out. I know the damn dog has most likely already sabotaged my escape. As I carefully turned the knob, the door creaked open. I tried to sneak out of my hell-hole of an apartment, trying to go unnoticed. I failed.
One of the worst things about living here was the smell and old décor. The scent came from the use of old generic bars of soap she must have gotten on sale at a flea-market twenty years ago. The soap was probably made from left over animal byproduct. I think I have surely seen the furnishings in an old Alfred Hitchcock film.
“Dante, do you have this week’s rent?” the demon growled through her flaring nostrils.
“No Rose, but I will surely have it to you tonight.” I bargained. I think somewhere deep down she knew that I would someday disappear.
“You better, I don’t mind putting a roof over your head, but I don’t even let my grandkids live here rent free.” The old woman scowled shaking her fist, not necessarily because she was angry but more or less because arthritis had consumed her body. Her hands were now fixated into clubbed fists ready for war.
She lives in a two story home that she managed to get from some kind of scandal with her ex-husband. Some believe that he was murdered, others say he committed suicide. Regardless the poor bastard made out on the better end of that deal.
This house would cast perfect in one of those low budget zombie movies. It was an old country home with a tin roof and big front porch that held a swing. This scary shack I temporarily called home was located behind an old abandoned factory. The sounds that come out the factory were enough to even freak me out. Although the house was two stories, the first floor rests at ground level. The bottom half of the house is embedded into the side of a rather steep hill. This is where I reside; tucked away from the world.
This old lady had to be strong to survive with what little she had. Don’t get me wrong, she wasn’t poor by any means, but she lacked the love of someone close. Her house had been paid off for years now and no one really knew how much money she actually had scrounged back. Like me, she decided years ago to disappear from paying taxes on her well earned money by working under-the-table jobs. I gave her a hundred dollars a week for rent, mainly to help her out with basic necessities.
“I get paid tonight and you will be the first to see the money.” I said as I walked hastily to my bike so she wouldn’t have time to respond. I hopped onto my beast and revved the engine so loud that I couldn’t hear her rebuttal. I honestly didn’t mind giving her the money. She was the only one that even knew I existed.
I drove a bike not because it was the cool thing to do, but because they were inexpensive, cheap on gas, and easy to dispose of. I also didn’t have to put up with the annoyance of a side-seat-driver. They also didn’t have radios to cause ruckus, besides with the roar of the engine it was easier for me to think.
On the days I wore a helmet I liked to speed and weave in and out of traffic. And on the days I didn’t wear a helmet, I liked to drive even more reckless, hoping that someday I would hit a rock or clip a bumper sending me plummeting into a tree, ending it all. I longed for this day.
I pulled up to work, if you could even call it work. I am basically the boss man’s little whore, only instead of getting nailed, I’m doing the nailing. I dreaded the day’s long hard work of driving nails into lumber. Being a contractor has its advantages though- you get paid cash and no one asks questions.
“Hey Dante! Did you get the message? About today being our last day on the job. I hear they are going commercial on this building. Turns out this company is going to be bigger than we imagined.” Said the man that had been working with me the past several weeks.
He always wore a hardhat while on the job site. He said he had seen far too many of his friends get hurt over stupid mistakes not to wear one. Around here it was like pre-school; big kids playing in a sand box with dump-trucks and bulldozers. Their slogan was “Safety First”.
They didn’t really understand why I tempted fate so many times. I didn’t really see the point in wearing the safety restraints, because that is exactly what they are- restraints. I figured I was at work to do my job so why should I let anything slow me down. The hardhat causes the sweat to drip into my eyes and the harness holds me down. Was I praying for death? Of course not, I do not pray. They always joke around saying that I must have a guardian angel on my back. I wish this was true, but I knew that this so called angel had abandoned me a long time ago.
“Oh really, that sucks. So are they just canceling mid-contract? I mean we are not even halfway done. Is our next job lined up?” I asked not really caring one way or another.
“Yeah, that’s just it, because they are breaking contract they are going to pay us out the remainder of our work plus an additional two grand per contractor, cash. But the bad part is we are on our own after today. Boss man is gettin’ such a big cut I think he’s retiring or some shit.” Said Mr. Safety.
“That’s not such a bad deal after all. So we will be pulling five g today? No shit, I feel like I just hit the jackpot.” I said trying to show some emotion.
We walked over and begin to pretend to actually start working. I don’t think anybody so much as lifted a finger the whole day, except for when the boss man came around to pay us out. When the money hit their hands they hit the road like it was the last day of school. It seemed like the longest yet most exhilarating workday so far. Mr. Safety and I were perched on the highest rafter of the building waiting to be called down.
I wasn’t much for small talk, but Mr. Safety poured his soul out regularly. Everyone knew that him and his wife had been going through tough times. Some shit about them losing their son, I really don’t know or care.
“How’s Deb?” I simply asked trying to sound concerned, little did I know what I was getting myself into.
“Eh, things could be better for us. It’s been nearly two years since little Jimmy died, god, I miss the little bastard. He would be six last week if he were still here. I wish you could have met the little fucker.” He said trying to sound strong, but the tears forming in his eyes showed different.
He reached to his side and pulled up his lunch box. The best part about this job was that we could all drink while at work and no one gave a shit. He pulled out a homemade sandwich and threw it to me.
“Here eat that, my wife made it for me and she’ll be pissed if it doesn’t get eaten. I’m not much for eatin’ today if you know what I mean.” He said as he pulled out a shiny flask full of whiskey, taking a swig.
All I could think is why did I ask that fucking question, “Yeah thanks, I wish I would have met the little guy.”
“He was tougher than all of us put together. He battled leukemia for nearly two years before his little body finally gave out. That’s how we figured out he had it, he was playing little-league football and at the end of the day when we were helping him clean up we noticed that his entire back and shoulders were black and blue from being hit all day. He didn’t complain once. I think that’s why it hurt Deb so much, she thought he was going to hold on.” He said as his voice began to crack. He took another couple of drinks, it was easy to tell that the liquor wasn’t to quench his thirst but rather to ease his pain.
“Take it easy there cowboy or you won’t be able to make it home tonight.” I said it as though I cared whether or not he made it home.
He choked a few more back and began to rant again, “She stayed night after night crying herself to sleep at night with him in the hospital bed. Day after day he would reassure her that everything was going to be fine.” He said as he wiped a few away and then continued, “We thought for sure he would pull through it, he was so brave that little fucker.” He was trying to be as strong as his son, but I could see he wasn’t going to make it.
I tried to change the subject to get his mind in a different direction, “I’m gonna kinda miss you fellas, this is the only job where I felt as though I was part of a time.”
But he was heart set, “That’s why I chose to work here, betcha didn’t know this was going to be a nonprofit children’s hospital didja? You see after he died not only were we left without our son, but a stack of goddamn doctor bills as well. Yeah, I mean some organization agreed to pay part of the cost, but the bills keep pouring in.” he said while standing from a crouched position never letting go of the flask.
I continued to sit and stuff my face with the sandwich his wife made me. It was so good it almost tasted sinful. With my mouth I managed to mumble a few words of condolence, “Do you need help with the bills?” I asked him as though I was going to do something about it.
The look of despair was starting to fade from his face and anger began to take its place. He ignored my question altogether and continued, “I can’t understand how someone can see my child dying and want to make a profit off of it. We could barely come up with enough money to bury him. Debra somehow thought this was all my fault, that I wasn’t good enough of a father. I decided from that point on I would never let the rest of my family suffer, so I got medical insurance and a massive life insurance plan for both me and Deb. It’s never going to bring our son back though, no matter what I do.”
He hit the wooden beam behind himself and then looked down as though he had lost all hope and given up, “What’s the point in going on?” was the last thing I listened to him say.
He continued on, but I lost interest in the subject he was ranting about. I mean so what kids die every day and in my eyes the bastard caught a break. The words of ‘What’s the point in going on?’ kept running through my head. I realized then that he just wanted all of this to end. He was calling for an answer but no one was listening. He wanted to be set free. I was the only one there to grant him his desire.
I crinkled up the cellophane wrapper that the delicious sandwich had been snuggled into and threw it over the edge. As the wrapper fell it was as though time was almost standing still. Every once in awhile the wind would catch it and the wrapper would float, as if an angel was holding it in midair trying to show me a sign. A sign that this was my calling in life. I was ordained by some higher power to bring order.
I stood up and began walking toward him. I had made my decision and was not going to turn back now. It was his time to go and I was the man for the job. All he wanted was to be with his son again and I could make it happen. When I got close enough to him I wrapped my arm around his shoulder pretending to comfort him. I simply unclipped his safety harness, patted him on the back and said, “Tell your son I said hi.”
It felt as though I barely even had to push, it was almost as if he wanted to jump. We were so high up that no one could see what was actually happening. All they could hear were the screams of shock and horror as his body fell flawlessly down until it reached the end, making a morbid thump as it hit the ground. After he hit the ground all I could think was; wow, that was quick. It was nothing like the bag at all, this felt right. I hurriedly clipped myself to his safety harness, grabbed a wooden beam and slid down to see if there was any life left in the body. I knew there wasn’t going to be, I did the math before I even thought about ending his suffering. There was no way anyone could have survived a fall from that high up, it didn’t matter what kind of safety gear he was wearing.
When I got to the bottom I unclipped and ran to the body before anyone touched it. I screamed “Call an ambulance!” as if I cared or thought he was going to make it. When I was close enough to see the body all could think was that he looked peaceful laying there lifeless.
The boss man pushed everyone back until the paramedics got there. They didn’t act as much more than a cleanup crew now, shifting the pronounced dead body into an extra large zip-lock baggy and then hauled it away.
People all around me were devastated at the loss. All I could think was that I did the guy a favor; I mean he is with his son and his bitch of a wife who had fallen out of love with will now collect his life insurance. It was great for all. Although, I was beginning to wonder if it was worth the hassle of it all. No one would understand the act of kindness I bestowed upon this man.
Soon after the cleanup crew left, the cops arrived on sight. Seeming how I was the only man with him before he died, they made me stick around for questioning and to write up a statement. Now by all means, I wanted to tell them what really happened, how I eased him of his agony, then I thought I could tell them the truth; that the poor bastard practically jumped off and killed himself, but how would that make his wife feel?
“So what your telling me is the when he stood up, he lost his balance and stumbled a little, trying to stabilize himself he accidently unclipped himself and fell?” The officer with a deep voice and beefy tits said.
“That’s right sir.” I replied trying to sound sincere.
“It’s a damn shame this safety equipment never seems to stand up to the test, we get more accidents like this than you can imagine. Sign here and you’re free to go.” The officer said as he spun the clipboard around and wielded the pen toward me.
I did my good deed for the day. The chubby old boss man waddled over to me; I thought for sure he had seen something different from what my story had been, but instead he just handed me a stack of cash and said, “Here is your cut Dante, it’s been nice working with you, it’s a shame it had to end like this.”
“Thank you sir, it has been a pleasure working with you. And about his accident, you know what they say, when it’s your time to go, it’s your time to go.” I said while thinking, but I helped speed up the process.
It was easier for me to crank the engine and salute him a good farewell than to listen to him babble on with his theories about why he had died.
On the long winding road home I couldn’t stop thinking about how peaceful he was. I fulfilled a purpose and felt no remorse. It was the fall season and the leaves were bright orange and occasionally crimson red. Every red tree I passed reminded me of the blood that flowed freely from his body, almost as though his sins were being lifted away. It was a burden he wouldn’t have to bare any more.
When I got home the crypt keeper greeted me, “Dante do you have my money?”
It was hard to refrain myself from the temptation of killing her right then and there. It would have been easier than today’s work. Surely no one would miss her at all and I’d be doing the world a good deed.
The only reason I restrained myself from such temptation was the dog interrupted my scheme. He ran between me and her with a stern force; I am not really sure if he was trying to greet me or protect her. Every time he barked I could see a hence of a smile; almost as if he could sense the good deed I did today.
“Yes Rose, you know you are the only one I care about.” I said as I laid five hundred dollars in her hands. I knew it was well over what rent was, but I am about to leave soon.
“Well I guess this will buy you a cup of lemonade and some dinner.” She said sounding frustrated because she might actually have to do something nice.
We walked inside and I told her about what had happened today- not the truth of course.
I shivered at the thought of normality now, when woke up this morning I thought that today would be like any other. I was wrong; a new chapter of my life was about to begin. They say that today is the first day of the rest of your life, well today I was reborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment